Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Danger. Curves Ahead...

So I am not a thin "normal sized" (Whatever that means) woman. I have curves and for the most part I love my curves. Most of my friends are also curvy. With that being said, I have just started working out and running (Treadmill for now, until weather breaks). I love how working out makes me feel. I'm not exercising to be a size 0, I love my curves but I need to be healthier with Diabetes, Alzheimers, and Cancer all in my family.  Recently at least once everyday everyone has been talking about body image and how it's such a shame that girls and women nowadays are so obsessed with it. But how can we not be when it's all we see. From Aerie's new campaign Aerie Real that does not re-touch the models and have also started to include Plus Size models which is great. Kudos to them! However just yesterday was The Biggest Loser and the final girl who won Rachel Frederickson lost a whopping 155 lbs. There is controversy because to be honest, the girl looks like she has an eating disorder. One person quoted on the Fit Sugar Facebook Page that "  Does anyone know how long there is between semi final and finale weigh ins? What worried me most is at semi finals she was 150.... That's a 45lb drop between then and finals after already being healthy, is that over one week- two?? Contestants don't drop 45lbs in their first week at the ranch. I really hope Rachel has found a way to love herself and her body and not just turned to a different addiction of "control" (Brittany Johanne).

That is crazy to me most people, me included, want to lose 60 lbs but I am going to do that over a period of time. At what point are people going to try to be healthier instead of thinner? What type of message does it send to our kids? Not a very positive one if you ask me. The point of this post is to bring awareness and have people think of the difference between healthy and thin and see which one is better. Also explain to your kids the difference. Obesity is also a huge problem, so what will be done about that? I applaud Aerie, and hope other businesses follow their lead and among that, I also hope that doctors and nutritionists will be able to formulate an answer on how to help future generations.  So I am asking you, please research your options on how to become a healthier and not thinner you. Put yourself first, please. 


Thanks for Reading!!

No comments: