Friday, December 28, 2012

A Love Like Johnny and June

Hello again. I just got inspired and needed to share. Let me tell you about my grandparents. They loved each other like crazy. They "got married in a fever" they only knew each other for a short time and my pap proposed and she said yes. Just like Johnny and June there was not a time when everything was completely fine. My pap developed health problems he had diabetes and had a heart attack and did not take care of himself like he should have. Food was his drug just like alcohol and drugs were Johnny's. My gram took care of him all the time. It was in her nature to be a caretaker. It was in my pap's nature to tell stories of when he was younger and when he and my gram traveled to go see Johnny Cash at the Jamboree in the Hills, and they met him there too. He also listened and sang Johnny Cash in his strong burly voice that I loved to listen to.  My gram was even a visiting nurse and never ran out of patience or love. She also had plenty of love to go around to her 4 kids and 9 grand kids later on. My pap was a stubborn man and my gram sometimes was just as stubborn but she still made sure everything was ok with everyone.My gram then got diagnosed with Alzheimer's and she began leaving things on the stove and caused a small fire. She also did not talk as much as she used to and just sat in her chair and would give the family a smile and would make small talk. She never forgot my name and still took care of my pap as much as she could have. It was then my pap's turn to take care of her. Her memory seemed to be fading faster and she had to be put in a home. It was the hardest decision my pap ever had to make and it tore him apart.  August 4 2013 would have been their 50th wedding anniversary. My gram passed away on April 2nd 2010 and my pap just like Johnny Cash after June passed away December 18 2010 just a few months later. It was a week before Christmas and was my 26th birthday but my pap told everyone that he talked to in his last days that he was going to spend Christmas with the love of his life. Surely enough he did and that helped to give me peace with his passing.

Now that I am getting to the age where I would like to be married and have kids I vow that I want a love like Phyllis and Duane who had a love like Johnny and June. It was literally the greatest love story I have ever known in my life. I wish all of you were lucky enough to meet my grandparents. They literally taught me mostly everything I know about love. Hard times should be met with patience and understanding. And never ever go to bed mad. Always solve any issue before bed and with more love.


No comments: